Magician. Therapist. Concierge. Miracle worker. Administrative pros in your office are all of these things and more to the bosses and the departments they support. Their duties may be “administrative,” but they are called upon to handle tasks each day that fall far outside the norm. These unsung heroes are critical ensuring your operations run smoothly, so it is important to know how to find and keep admins who can hold your team together.
How To Make Life Easier For Your Administrative Personnel
A talented administrative professional should be exceptionally organized, should be able to anticipate needs before they arise. They should be diplomatic, and unbreakably cool under pressure. When you find someone who possesses these skills and has the technical and practical skills to succeed, you don’t want to let that person go.
If you want to attract great admin talent and retain the talent you’ve got, you must be sure your organization provides a nurturing environment for their success. Here are some of the things you can do to help keep your admins productive, happy and loyal:
- Listen: Admins are in the trenches and knows a lot more about the daily operations of the organization than managers and leaders do. Their input is invaluable.
- Communicate: An admin’s job is to keep things running smoothly and to make his or her boss look good. They can’t do that if they are not kept in the loop.
- Avoid micromanaging: Delegation to an admin is good; micromanaging is bad. Provide them with the tools they need to get a job or project done, then step out of the way.
- Don’t expect a mind-reader: Sometimes admins may seem like mind readers or psychics, and great ones can think three steps ahead but they are only human. No matter how steady or experienced an admin may be, they cannot predict the future.
- Help them grow: Within budget, send your administrative staff to relevant seminars, conferences and classes. It will help them learn new things, grow their self-esteem and strengthen their loyalty and engagement.
- Help them develop leadership skills: Don’t be afraid to give a talented admin supervisory, managerial or leadership responsibilities for specific systems or projects.
- Say thanks: Administrative work is stressful. When and admin helps you look good to your colleges or clients, say thanks. A little bit of appreciation goes a long way. And don’t forget to do something nice during Administrative Professionals week, which falls in April.
If you removed all of the administrative personnel from your staff, the company would be in a world of trouble. Admins are the glue the hold the office together, and it is essential to master the art of attracting and retaining great talent.
Are You Looking for an Office Job or looking to hire an Administrative Assistant?
- Click here to learn about how CSS can help you find your next star team member.
- Click here to view all job openings at CSS.
Read More helpful & inspiring tips here.
Contemporary Staffing connects job seekers to hiring managers nationally in the following professions: Accounting & Finance, Call Center & Office, Human Resources, IT, Salesforce, and Sales & Marketing.