Looking for a Linux Administrator, who will be part of a team responsible for managing cloud-based and hybrid application environments, executing scheduled maintenance activities on those systems, and supporting our clients via a helpdesk and meetings. We are looking for candidates who want to learn how to build and support applications in the cloud but who will work primarily as system administrators on a Linux-based set of systems.
What You Will Do
- Perform recurring operations and maintenance activities
- Perform routine system administration and engineering tasks as directed, such as verifying backup jobs are working as expected, reviewing logs, inspecting server configurations, etc.
- Participate in a weekly on-call rotation, being responsible for investigating all alerts during business hours for responding to emergency alerts/outages after hours.
- Develop scripts to support routine system administration activities.
- Occasionally work in a data center environment, installing servers and network hardware, managing cabling, and documenting work consistent with company standards.
- Support clients
- Engage with clients via a helpdesk, email, direct communication channels such as Slack, and periodic meetings.
- Follow our helpdesk process to ensure that clients receive timely responses and that their expectations are correctly set at all times.
- Follow release and change management processes correctly to perform releases, create/modify/remove user accounts, and handle other routine documented procedures initiated via the helpdesk.
- Work in a modern DevOps environment
- Participate in weekly planning meetings and daily standups, ensuring you understand your work for the week and being prepared for and accountable to your daily standup updates.
- Use configuration management tools including Ansible and Cloud Formation Templates to automate and document your work.
- Use Git effectively, tracking work in branches, submitting pull requests for completed work, and maintaining awareness of open branches at all times to ensure clean merges and safe execution of changes.
Who We Are Looking For
- Driven. We are self-starters who are eager to learn, contribute and grow. We aren't afraid to try new things or take on new challenges. We are a resource to our team, our company, and our clients. We keep everyone and everything moving forward and are continually improving.
- Creative. We bring imagination and purposeful thought to our work, putting conventional ideas together in unconventional ways. We approach problem solving with curiosity and fresh perspective, sparking innovation.
- Trustworthy. We are trustworthy about the easy things and the hard things. The trust our clients place in us is our highest privilege, so we make the right choices even when they are the hard choices.
- Problem Solving. We focus on fully understanding a problem, thinking logically and systematically, and coming up with a solution. We strive to work on the right things and see each problem as an opportunity to learn and improve.
We also expect the following core skills, which are necessary to support the objectives of this role:
- In depth understanding of the Linux operating system, including how to create RPM or APT packages with proper signatures, how to correctly patch servers at scale, how to configure tools such as systemd, and how to properly harden a Linux server . Strong working understanding of both RedHat/CentOS and Ubuntu is preferred.
- Strong understanding of Internet Protocols such as HTTP/HTTPS, SMTP, IMAP/POP3, and DNS.
- Experience supporting applications running on Java, PHP, MySQL/MariaDB, MSSQL, PostgreSQL. Apache, and Tomcat.
- Python or Bash scripting experience, which you will be asked to provide small samples of.
- Hands-on experience using a configuration management framework(s) such as Ansible preferred.
- Hands-on experience with classic networking, such as the demonstrated ability to configure a firewall, troubleshoot network issues, and configure switch ports and VLANs.
- Strong communication skills, including the demonstrated ability to communie ideas effectively both in person and in writing.
- The ability to learn quickly through a variety of mediums, including self-paced training, mentorship, peer work, and peer review.
- A 4-year degree, IT-specific 2-year certification, or relevant certifications such as RedHat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA). Candidates without relevant education or certifications will be considered for this position if they can demonstrate ability to perform all of the job functions immediately (such as through past experience) and demonstrate that they meet all of the core skills required for the role.
While certifications, education and overall industry experience are valued, we are primarily looking for candidates who are eager and able to learn, ready to jump into an established, fast-moving team, contribute immediately, be willing and ready to be coached, and have excellent communication skills with both customers and teammates.